Welcome! If you’re here, you’re looking for a copyeditor or a copywriter. Let me tell you about myself. In 2013, I left the legal profession, where I was a trial lawyer, to become an editor. I’m still licensed to practice law in Virginia and in Arizona. Now that I am an editor, I wonder what took me so long to make the switch.
I am a well-rounded and intellectually curious language expert, knowledgeable in a wide range of subjects and disciplines. I believe in updating and expanding my skills, which is why I recently took medical terminology and statistics at the University of California San Diego Extension in order to improve my efficiency as an editor of academic and medical journals. (I got an A in each of them.)
As an editor and copywriter, I use the same skills I used as a lawyer. I help fiction writers tell their stories and I help scholars and other professionals present their evidence. I focus on finding the right words and making language flow, while respecting an author’s work and voice.
My copywriting skills allow you to focus on your business, knowing that you have a consummate professional to handle the words, your blog, your newsletter, your web content.
As a former prosecutor who has extensive martial arts training, I’m uniquely situated to edit your police procedurals. I also edit mysteries, YA, apocalyptic fiction, science fiction, speculative fiction, and historical fiction. The subject matter experience I gained in criminal law make me just the editor for your behavioral health, medical, and forensics work. I have published in comparative literature, psychobiology, psychological anthropology, and law, and so I am a subject-matter expert in those areas.
I know how important it is for your editor to strengthen your voice and to respect your material. It is not easy to hand over something you’ve worked so hard to create to a relative stranger. I work with professionalism and tact. Integrity is at the core of all I do. I look forward to working with you.
QUALIFICATIONS & TRAINING
- Volunteer of the Month, Editors Canada, May 2017
- Chair of the Publications Committee of Editors Association of Canada, June 2016–current.
- Editing certificate from the University of California Berkeley Extension.
- J.D. degree from William and Mary Law School.
- B.A. in comparative literature from the University of Virginia.
- First academic publication in 1988 (the first of twelve such publications).
- Almost twenty years of complex legal writing for courts, involving thorough research and accurate writing about medical, scientific, or behavioral health evidence.
- Past subjects I have edited: fiction, nanotechnology, epidemiology, social sciences, bioengineering, self-help, memoirs, and international law.
- Summer 2016, University of California San Diego Extension, Practical Clinical Statistics for the Non-Statistician.
- Spring 2016, University of California San Diego Extension, Medical Terminology.
- Editing Goes Global Conference in June 2015 in Toronto; the conference was sponsored by the Editors’ Association of Canada and was attended by over 500 editors from over twelve countries.
COURSEWORK & CONFERENCES