Welcome! If you’re here, you’re looking for a copyeditor, fact-checker, researcher, or a copywriter. You’ve come to the right place!
As trained editor and a former litigator, I’m skilled in identifying critical elements of a story and evaluating them for accuracy and effectiveness. As an editor and former litigator, I know just how important it is to find the right words to match your audience.
What is more, I have listened closely to the words and voices of people from all walks of life, so I can assist you in making sure that your characters sound believable. This is important for fiction and for history. I also know how important it is to you that your manuscript look polished and professional, with correct and consistent spelling, grammar, usage, and punctuation.
I have years of experience in understanding forensic and scientific evidence well enough to communicate it to people of all educational levels and backgrounds. I have learned to distill the most important facts and parts of the story. I know how to organize evidence and narrative into a coherent and powerful manuscript.
I have published in comparative literature, psychobiology, psychological anthropology, and law. I have prepared panel discussions on healthcare policy in the United States. I’m a subject matter expert in special education law.
I have an editing certificate from the University of California Berkeley, a JD from William and Mary Law School, and a BA in comparative literature from the University of Virginia.
I specialize in humanities, social sciences, law, forensic science, behavioral health, medicine, and history, as well as memoirs/autobiographies, YA, apocalyptic fiction, science fiction, literary fiction, and fantasy. Services I provide include copyediting, structural editing, line editing, developmental editing, fact-checking, research, ghostwriting, and flagging or fixing of plot holes.
I know how important it is for your editor to strengthen your voice and to respect your material. It is not easy to hand over something you’ve worked so hard to create to a relative stranger. I work with professionalism and tact. I look forward to working with you.
QUALIFICATIONS & TRAINING
- Co-Coordinator, Phoenix Chapter, Editorial Freelancers Association, February 2018.
- Volunteer of the Month, Editors Canada, May 2017
- Chair of the Publications Committee of Editors Association of Canada, June 2016–January 2018.
- Editing certificate from the University of California Berkeley Extension.
- J.D. degree from William and Mary Law School.
- B.A. in comparative literature from the University of Virginia.
- First academic publication in 1988 (the first of twelve such publications).
- Almost twenty years of complex legal writing for courts, involving thorough research and accurate writing about medical, scientific, or behavioral health evidence.
COURSEWORK & CONFERENCES
- Margulis, Dick, and Karin Cather. “The Paper It’s Written On; Negotiating and Drafting Service Agreements for Editing Clients.” Paper presented at the 12th Annual Communication Central Be a Better Freelancer Conference, Rochester, NY, September 2017.
- Communication Central Conference in Fall 2017 in Rochester, New York.
- Summer 2016, University of California San Diego Extension, Practical Clinical Statistics for the Non-Statistician.
- Spring 2016, University of California San Diego Extension, Medical Terminology.
- Editing Goes Global Conference in June 2015 in Toronto; the conference was sponsored by the Editors’ Association of Canada and was attended by over 500 editors from over twelve countries.
Keywords: academic editor, academic editing, behavioral health, documentation, citations, book editing, fiction, martial arts, Krav Maga, tae kwon do law, legal, criminal law, child welfare, medical, psychology, psychiatry, nursing, history, natural history, structural editor, line editor, special education, developmental editor, copyeditor, thesis, dissertation, book, journal articles, textbooks, healthcare policy, public health, firearms